Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Capt'n Eli's Root Beer

Capt'n Eli's. The first of a long list of undiscovered beers I have yet to love, or hate.
Stats:
Calories: 165
Sugars: 40g

Initial Flavor: I have to admit, I'd gone on a run directly before this, and I would have loved any beverage after an hour in the midsummer sun. I had just gotten back,  and what did I find? Root beer, smack in the middle of the fridge. It hadn't been in for very long, but 4 ice cubes set it straight. Half the bottle in a cup (3/4ths looked like pure foam), and the rest set aside. It didn't smell like much, but I was getting over a cold, and I am not the greatest of judges on a good day. Either way, it was frothing, and I went for the foam first. It was like a buttery whitecap of the ocean, if anyone can imagine that. It was great. I sipped the actual drink and it was great. Mellow, hearty-yet-flavorful, and the anise (6th ingredient) is hiding around somewhere in the midst of it. The after taste was vanilla, both in cleanliness, and flavor.

Texture: Smooth, tiny bit fizzed. I had this strange sensation where I could taste it strongly on my tongue, but nowhere else in my mouth (the whole mouth has taste buds, you know). Medium bubbles, not too hard in popping.

Final Flavor: The last wash of the second cup slowed down a bit, and I must have adjusted to it by then. Still good, more vanilla then I expected, and overall just a nice brew. I rate this an 86/100, and would recomend this to anyone visiting the area. Off my check list, and right in the middle of my favorites. Quite seaworthy indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment